Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring Cherry Blossom Festivals


Alfred Housman said it best:
"Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough."

Two friends Hye Gyeon, and Yung Sueng invited me to go with them and see some of the Spring Festivals in Seoul today. The first one was here in Walkerville...that's Korea, not Montana for all you Butte people that may have thought your local Walkerville was transformed.







Those are blossoms that have already fallen on the ground (we had a little wind on Sunday).


Next, we went to "Lotte World" at Jamsil. It's a shopping/amusement park/hotel/lake area in Seoul.
We walked around the lake, which is about three miles.


Then we found it...the mother of all cherry blossom trees!




Lyle put his stamp of spring happiness on our walk last night, so I thought I would finish with this pose. (Yes, he does think he is pretty funny when he is behaving just the opposite of the spring cheerfulness in the world around him)










11 comments:

Tammy said...

Very pretty. Lyle cracks me up. Karha has been going around talking like Lyle.

Anonymous said...

That picture of Uncle Lyle totally made my day.

Sarah and Cory Smith said...

Great pictures. thanks for the update. Miss ya

Anonymous said...

Mary I love all the pictures of spring! I couldn't help but save a few photos to my desktop so I can gaze at them instead of out the window ... at the Pit.

M'kenzie Tillotson said...

This makes me want to be some place exotic and away from the snow! I wish spring was here-great photo taking by the way. A lot better than some of my fellow students.
kenz

Mike and Lisa said...

Okay thats it. Mike and I are buying one of those for our front yard.

Chandra said...

The cherry blossoms are beautiful. I think Spring has finally arrived to the Basin....but I did have to scrape my windows this morning. Love reading your blog and getting all your updates on your world travels.

Gary and Sara said...

WOW! And I thought Bostons blossoms were huge! How fantastic! I love catching up with your life on this blog!

Mama Tales said...

What wonderful pictures! I'm sure it must be beautiful. Thanks for sending the beauty to the rest of us. Shelly

Anonymous said...

Wow great pics Mary!

melanie said...

I knew you'd find shopping/walking friends in Korea too. And I see right though that spring grumpiness in Lyle. Great posts, I love cherry blossoms!