Monday, August 17, 2009

Last Weekend....Visiting Song-si Nat.'l Park

"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent in the ideas of living." ~Miriam Beard~



Saturday we woke up to the sound of dripping from our spare bedroom. After emptying the room and waiting four hours for the villa owner to show up and take a look at things (he said he would be there within the hour) we gave up and decided to hop in the car and drive 30 miles to a nearby Nat.'l Park. Here's a few pictures of some of the beautiful scenery. I wish you could also feel the heat and 90%humidity as well to get the full effect of the day.

One of my finer photographs if I do say so myself.


This tree was growing on top of a rock, roots and all.


This waterfall was at the beginning of the trail.


A little Korean boy taking a snooze by the waterfall in his rubber rafts.


Monks facilities near the temple.


We have yet to find a Nat.'l park without a Budhist temple on the premises. This one was under some renovation, but was still pretty amazing.


Budha watching over all...


I don't understand much of the symbolism in Budhism, so I will give you my interpretation:
"If one Budha is good, three or four is better."






This is a little "hobbit" bus stop we passed along the roadside on the way to the park. If there were an award for "Cutest Bus Stop In The World"...this would be it. The man standing by Lyle was waiting for the bus, and after some coaxing agreed to have his picture taken with Lyle.


Trees carved into totems near the park entrance.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

The totem pole in the middle is bar far the coolest!

Ande said...

I agree with Carolyn. You make a great totem pole. I also love your interpretation on buddhist symbolism. Sounds very wise and legitimate.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the insight on Budha! I think you also make a great totem pole. I also agree that you are a great photographer!

Chandra said...

That park looks a whole lot better than our japanese gardens. I'm jealous. Love keeping up with all of your travels on the blog. Keep it up.

Brittany said...

I love the "Hobbit" Bus Stop!...But even more I like how excited the man looks standing next to Lyle...glad you talked him into being in the picture. :)

You are becoming quite the photographer. I can't believe you live in such a magnificent place. It's beautiful.

Justin and Stephanie said...

What a beautiful place! I bet you are having some serious adventures! How are you enjoying the food? Have you picked up Korean? You guys look like you are having fun!