Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week three, but who's counting?

Well, we must have been busy, because the week flew by pretty fast.

Our excursion this week was to the venue where S.K. held the Olympics, some 20yrs ago.

T The park is in great shape and we got a chuckle out of the rows of totem poles, sometimes I think they resemble some of my moods.





We are also still trying to figure out how "Happy Christmas" got lost in translation to Helpy Christmas, but then I pretty much slaughter the Korean language as well. I guess they leave some of the Christmas decor up until the Easter Bunny arrives.



There were also some pretty interesting sculptures from each of the countries that participated in the Olympics there. I had already walked at least two miles on blistered feet (didn't know my new tenni-runners would be getting such a work-out and you can only walk so far with toilet paper stuffed in your shoes) so we didn't find the sculpture from the U.S. It will give us a reason to go back I like to call this one "Are You My Mother?"



And here' just a couple more..







Don't ask me to interpret any of these sculptures . I will never understand or probably appreciate to the full extent what is going on in the brains of some of these artists, and how this ties into the Olympics or represents their country. These sulptures go on for acres, so it was kind of a fun walk. Not very often I get a little culture in my stroll. (No offense intended to those friends and family members I have walked with over the years on that last comment.)
It felt good to get out and walk so far your legs were stiff the next day. Gotta get in shape for when I figure out where all the good shopping is and Krista arrives in a couple of weeks! We had a great time and as always, wish you were each here to enjoy it with us as well.

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Hooray for Sunday. It's the day the coupons are in the newspaper and Mary posts on her blog.

How I wish you would have interpreted those sculptures. It might not have been right, but it would have been funny.

How does Lyle like his job? I'd love to hear what a typical day is like for you. Have you done typical yet?!

The Green Blog said...

I like those mood sculptures as well.

Tammy said...

Looks like fun! I really like the sculptures. Jane cracks me up I love reading her comments.

I also would have liked to hear your verison of the sculptures.

Miss you, wish you were here.

Sarah and Cory Smith said...

I love Sunday for the coupons in the paper and for when you update your blog too!!! Very interesting. Krista is coming there...how fun!! Miss you guys. Tell Lyle we say hello and that we want to hear about his job!

Jon and Karen Egeland said...

I agree, I think that you need to interpret those sculptures for us. I think it would be better to hear those that aren't right, we could all use a laugh.

Chandra said...

I look forward to these weekly updates from Korea. Makes you seem not quite so far away. Just wish you didn't have to leave the continent to get you to blog. Sounds like another week of adventure. I'm glad you are taking lots of pictures.

melanie said...

Long lost friend that now lives in Korea...I'm so glad you check my blog. I checked and checked and checked and checked but never found anything new on yours. I'm so glad you moved across the world and I get to read your humor once more. It's the best! Love, long lost hair dresser. :)

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Sounds like you guys are "helpy" and having a great time! I'm sitting here wishing I could fly and go shopping with you and Krista. We'd have WAY too much fun!
Looks like a great time walking around Olympic park. That "Are you my mother" is truly and inspiration to us all. Unlike you, I know EXACTLY what the artist was thinking and find extreme beauty in the eloquence of the structure (tee hee hee)
Hope you get to eat duck again really soon!

Brittany said...

Helpy Christmas???? Oh wow! We just got our internet connection hooked up today in our new home...and boy have I missed out!

Look at you two! Eating Duck, Living on the 30th Floor, and experiencing life on the other side of the world from Butte! Keep the posts coming. This is too good to miss!